Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A sampling of life lately....

Life has been busy and full of fun lately, but I guess nothing has seemed super exciting or out of the ordinary to blog about.  However, here are a few things that have been happening lately that may or may not be exciting.  I have not been great at taking pictures but have a few of some of the things.

*Calin has been my running partner in the mornings, and sometimes we wait and Robby comes with us when it hasn't been too hot in the afternoon or evening.  Calin is an excellent cheerleader and keeps us going!

*We have been trying to spend lots of time outside enjoying this beautiful spring weather before it gets too hot to enjoy being outside!

*Went to the Southern Utah Culinary Festival and enjoyed sampling some of the local restaurants yummy food!
Robby and Calin enjoying the evening at the food festival!
Calin even got to have a few bites ! 

*Went to the park one Saturday with Hollie, Preston and Gracie and enjoyed flying airplanes, flying kites, playing on all the fun toys and Calin especially loved swinging.  He just started giggling the minute he got on!

*Enjoyed taking Robby swimming with us one evening since we usually go during the day.  It was fun to have him there with us!

*Lots of work outside on the yard-planting grass (filling in some bare patches), watering, weeding-it is never ending!! Calin enjoyed playing in the rocks one day while I was weeding and managed to get two rocks down his shirt.  Such a boy!

*Planting and tending the garden.  Calin likes to come out with us help. He even tries to help with the shovel and hose sometimes. He especially likes to play in the water and get himself soaked!

The left side of the garden
(I love how the garden looks at the beginning of the season all neat and no weeds!)

The middle part of the garden.  I had to document it all this year
since we are pretty proud of it! 
The right side of the garden.
I'm getting so excited to have some yummy tomatoes! 

*Calin has been trying lots of new foods and is starting to enjoy many new things.  He is always looking at our food and wanting to have whatever we are having.  I try to make dinner that has at least one thing we can give him that is on our plates too so he doesn't feel left out.  His new favorites are scrambled eggs, pieces of banana, pieces of bread (also likes to have a little peanut butter spread on there), pieces of green beans, and anything else we can give him that he can mash up in his mouth pretty easily since he still only has two teeth.  

*Lots of busy nights at the church for YW's and bishopric meetings! Calin does not always love spending Tuesday nights at the church but the leaders and girls do what they can to help keep him happy and entertained!  How can he not love being around a bunch of cute girls!

"Brown Bear" and the "First Counting Book" have been such a help!
I'm so glad he loves books! 
*Lots of walks around the neighborhood to enjoy the outside some more!  This is right after Calin and Robby went for a walk.  
So cute with his hat on backwards trying to be all cool. 
 *Robby spent a lot of time working on a greenhouse that should be really useful next winter!

*Lots of work on cleaning up our carport.  LOTS of cockroaches were discovered under a pile of wood...YIKES!!

*I enjoyed two weeks in a row at church being complimented on being a good mom.  Sundays are hard for me and I am always worn out from trying to keep Calin happy and entertained.  It was really nice to have two different women on two different weeks acknowledge that I was doing a good job.  Sometimes I feel like such a failure when I end up out in the hall for half of sacrament meeting, but it was good to know that I was at least doing something right.  Glad to have such wonderful people out there who recognize what others are doing.  I hope I can watch out for others that I can compliment and help make their day too!

Lastly, we were out watering the garden tonight.  It cooled down quite a bit today from the 80's and 90's it has been and was down in the 60's-70's with a LOT of wind!!  We noticed these three little birds when we first got out there that we thought were just out looking for food.  However, after watching them for a while we realized they were 3 little baby birds that must have gotten blown out of their nest with all the wind.  The mom (we think) kept coming to check up on them but obviously didn't know what to do to help her babies that didn't seem to be able to fly yet.  These poor little birds kept trying to huddle together (probably to stay warm since it was so cold). It was very sad to watch and not be able to do much to help.  We tried to help make a little nest for them to stay warm in, but it just scared them more than helped.  They eventually made it up into a little corner of our yard in a bunch of bushes.  Hopefully that keeps them safe and warm for the night! 



Mostly life is just really great right now!  We are loving every minute with Calin and love spending time together as a family!!  

3 comments:

  1. There you are rescuing birds again. I especially like the red hat picture. Stop growing Calin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly though I've never been successful at it. Two of them died, and the other one is just hanging out there by its dead siblings...:( We don't know what to do. Very sad!

      Delete
  2. Oh and the garden looks great! I loved the Daddy/son digger combo!

    ReplyDelete