January has been a long month and I am so ready to have our whole family be healthy and not be sick anymore!! I know nobody else probably cares about our saga month of sickness, but I wanted to record this month for my own sake.
We started the week of Christmas with Calin, then Robby picked it up, and finally me. I thought it was just a cold and although the stuffy nose and sore throat were miserable, I figured it would pass quickly and we would move on. However, Robby's "cold" turned into a cough that did not go away. Calin and I were just about over our runny noses just as Robby realized he was sick again with something new or it had just not ever gone away. So sometime the week of January 6th he went to insta care where they gave him an antibiotic and medicine for his cough.
On Tuesday January 7th, Calin was really needy and clingy all day especially after his nap and once Robby got home. I was going to dinner with a friend and he had a major come apart about me leaving. While I was gone Robby realized he had a fever. This started Calin and I back again into the flu with Robby. Calin's fever went up and down over the next two days and I had a fever on Wednesday. His fever was never above 101 degrees and didn't stay so I didn't take him in.
Thursday was my birthday. I spent the day trying to relax and taking care of Calin who still had a fever and seemed to be feeling pretty miserable as was I. It was not a real eventful day, but still good. Robby sent me my favorite flowers, gerbera daisies, and I was spoiled with lots of good gifts from family. My grandma was also awesome and brought us a cherry pie and some meat pies for lunch! Thanks grandma! Robby came home from work with a cake and ice cream and we decided to go out to dinner. However, with none of us feeling well I wasn't too excited about going out to a restaurant but that was a better option than getting dinner ready. I was also a little worried about Calin because after his nap he woke up with a goopy eye that continued throughout the afternoon and evening. We decided after dinner we better take him to the doctor.
So we left dinner and off we went to the night clinic at Calin's pediatrician. There we found out he still had a fever, an ear infection, and the infection had spread to his eyes. So we got a prescription for an antibiotic and eye drops and went home. I opened presents with Robby and Calin once we got home and then we put Calin to bed after a very traumatic administering of eye drops and medicine. Robby and I enjoyed some cake and ice cream after we put him to bed and then we went to bed early. I felt pretty robbed of a day that was supposed to be a little more fun, but oh well, such is life as a mom, right!?
I had a job to sub the next day and got up early, still not feeling well, to get over to Desert Hills High School. I was subbing for an English class. I got there and the plans seemed fairly easy. However, as the morning went on I started feeling worse and worse. On top of being sick, an ear ache that kept getting worse, and a sore throat to where I could barely talk, I also had some morning nausea and dizziness that I have still been getting from this pregnancy. It got so bad that I had to go back by the teacher's desk and lay down on the floor. I was so embarrassed doing this in the middle of the class, thankfully the students were all nicely working on their reading assignment, and I was so worried that one of the students were going to take a picture with their phone and I was going to end up on Facebook as the "worst sub ever". Thankfully I was able to make it through the first period, I apologized and explained my situation to the students. They were kind and we made it through. It was a huge blessing that the teacher had their prep second period. I went down to the office and explained that I was feeling more and more ill and they were able to find me a sub for the sub for the second half of the day.
I left the school and headed to insta care (I tried to get into a doctor but everywhere was totally overbooked). There I found out I had an ear infection, among other problems, after they washed all the wax build up out. So I got my prescription for an antibiotic and headed home to rest. So now we had a house full of sick miserable people trying to make it through the day and take care of each other.
From that point on we had a rough couple of weeks with long days and long nights. We had to convince Calin that his medicine was more like a treat which worked great, but he was less convinced that his eye drops were fun. He did get really good and doing it though and it got much easier than the first couple days. We spent the next couple weeks hoping that the medicine would finally kick in and we would start feeling better. The worst part of it was the cough. It kept us up a lot at night and was awful. I haven't ever had a cough like that.
After slowly getting better and enduring a couple weeks of feeling pretty miserable, we all started to feel better and felt like we were getting close to getting mostly better, except for my ear which had been plugged since I went in to instacare on the 10th. I went into the doctor last Thursday where I found out they couldn't do much because I can't take anything from being pregnant. It is not infected just still has fluid in it. The next day we also noticed Calin's eye starting to get goopy again so back into the doctor we went again last Friday. He did not have anything new, but it seemed to still just be left over so we started the eye drops again. Calin also still has fluid in his ears so we need to watch that.
I was still feeling pretty good about being on the mend, but then Sunday rolled around and Calin threw up a few times that morning and had some diarrhea throughout the day. No church for us and a day full of laundry and taking care of a sick boy again. Monday he seemed to be doing much better and started to get his appetite back. Then Tuesday hit and I woke up feeling miserable that morning. I had already sent Robby off to work not knowing that he too was also miserable. I threw up a few times that day along with lots of trips to the bathroom. I called Robby to see if he could come home early. He did, but that was when I found out he had been sick all day too. So we miserably made it through Tuesday and Tuesday night. Poor Calin had less than exciting parents that day!
For those that don't know, Calin has never watched TV or any movies. We sometimes let him watch short video clips on youtube, but other than that the only screen time he gets is FaceTime with family. However, I was so miserable I caved and turned on Winnie the Pooh for him. However, it backfired and he was not interested. It only lasted about 10 minutes in the morning and then another 15 minutes that afternoon, a little relief though.
I started having major cramping pains that I was worried about being connected to labor, however after calling in to the doctor they said it was probably because I was dehydrated. So I started to try to get some liquids down but then got sick again that evening. I kept trying to drink to keep hydrated though and thankfully did not get sick the rest of the night but got very little sleep because I was still so uncomfortable.
Wednesday Robby and I still had an uncomfortable day and exhausting day from no sleep, but were feeling much better and were able to eat and drink and were both feeling much better by last night. Today we all seem to be back to feeling good (minus the still lingering cough that still does not seem to want to go away, and my ear still being plugged). I am writing this in good faith that now that we have reached the end of January and have been going since Christmas that maybe we will finally be done with sickness and can move into February continuing to get better and feeling much better! Hopefully by now we have caught every possible sickness that we could have and won't get anything else.
Some may have heard that a few died here in Southern Utah from the swine flu. It has been going around here and pretty much everyone I know has been or is sick. I am pretty sure that that is what we got or some form of it anyway. All I know is I have not been hit that hard in a long time, or had a flu linger for this long; and it didn't help being pregnant at the same time!
January has been the most unproductive month for me which has been really bad because there has been so much I needed to do for the basement and the new baby coming. However, any time Calin was sleeping I did too. I never felt good or like I could get enough sleep. Hopefully February is better so that we can actually get everything organized for the basement and get things ready for this baby girl!
Here's to a better February!!
Sorry again for the long saga post! I just wanted to record this for myself.
I started writing this post on Monday...not knowing the rest of the week ahead of us...please no more sickness!!
No comments:
Post a Comment