Saturday, April 12, 2014

Welcome Baby Clara!!

Clara Elizabeth Comeford 
March 16th, 2014
6lbs 14oz 19in. 
9:19am 

We are so excited to have our baby girl here with us finally!  Lots more about her to come with lots of pictures too!! I just wanted to get her birth story down before it started to become a blur.

The final weeks of being pregnant were pretty miserable for me.  Although I didn't feel ready to have her here, I also was definitely done with being pregnant.  That week was spring break for Robby so he was home all week long.  We were trying to be productive with the time we had and get lots of things done and organized.  I had tons of energy and got a lot done the first few days, but by about Tuesday of that week I felt exhausted and had just run out of any "nesting" energy I had had.  Thankfully Robby was great and helped me finish some of the cleaning I wanted to get done.

Friday I had my check up with the doctor and was still not dilated more than a one, and was about 1/3 thinned out.  Dr. Astle asked me if I wanted to schedule to be induced on Saturday, but I decided I wasn't desperate enough and one more day to finish some shopping and cleaning might be good since Robby and I still didn't totally feel ready (then again I don't think we ever would have felt totally ready).  Dr. Astle said that was fine as long as I didn't decide to have the baby on Sunday.  (He is the stake president in his stake and had ward conferences that day).

Saturday we finished up a few things around the house, watched Gracie and Preston's soccer games, and then that afternoon  had scheduled the neighbor boys to do some weeding for us (they had started their own weeding business).  Robby's allergies had been keeping him from sleeping very well, so Calin and Robby had a nap while I went out and supervised the boys and helped load the weeds and some grapevines into the truck to take to the dump.  It was exhausting, but I was hoping maybe it would help out with going into labor.  It was a huge relief to get those weeds cleaned up (they were almost as tall as me and taking over our whole backyard).

That night we went over to Austin and Tracee's for a party they were having.  We enjoyed some games, visiting, and yummy snacks.  We headed home early to get Calin to bed, but especially for Robby because he had a 6:00am priesthood meeting the next morning.  While at Tracee's, I had been having contractions on a off (which had been happening all week), but once home I figured they were coming about every 15 minutes.  However, once I laid down and went to bed the contractions stopped.

About 4:00 am, Calin woke us up.  Robby went in with him to get him back to sleep and I tried to go back to sleep.  However, I had some contractions start coming again and this time they were extremely painful,  but they were still 7-10 minutes apart and not coming regularly.  I laid there until about 5:00 when I decided to get up and go to the bathroom.  When I stood up I thought I felt my water break.  It was not a lot though so I wasn't sure.  I went into the bathroom and was pretty sure my water had broke and contractions started coming REALLY strong and about 3 minutes apart.   I went out to tell Robby (still awake with Calin) that we needed to go to the hospital.   While he went to call his mom I finished putting a few things in my bag for the hospital.  Robby got his stuff all together and ready.  Calin was still awake too.  Robby's mom came over and she took Calin (who only cried for a couple minutes thank goodness!), rocked him some more and we found out later he finally went back to sleep, and Robby and I were on our way by about 5:40.  (He didn't have to go to his priesthood meeting!).

Robby has never driven quite as fast as he did to get us to the hospital.  At that point I didn't feel like I was having much of a break in between contractions.  I was starting to worry about whether we were going to make it.  I knew I still wanted to get an epidural and had to have two doses of antibiotic because I was strep b positive.

We got to the hospital and headed in.  Behind us a nurse was coming in and starting her shift.  She ended up being the one who checked us in and was our delivery nurse.  It took what felt like a LONG time to get checked in.  I was really starting to feel like I was not going to make it through one more contraction.  When she checked me my water had broken and I was dilated to a 5.  Finally we got checked in and moved to our delivery room.  They had me walk to that room and while on my way the contraction I had made me feel like I was going to have that baby right there in the hallway.  I really felt the need to push.

It was close to 7 when we got to the room and once we got in the room, they started the antibiotic and meanwhile I waited hoping I could get the epidural soon.  The contractions were literally one right after the other with no break in between.  They were about to call the doctor thinking I must be ready but after checking I was still only dilated to a 6.   I had some really intense pressure on my tailbone which made it hard to lay on my back so the nurse could relieve some of the pressure of the contractions.  So I stayed curled up on my side gripping the bed railing and Robby's arm trying to make it through contractions.  I thought that when I had Calin my contractions were pretty painful, but I really had no idea how bad it could get.

Finally about 8, once I'd had some of the antibiotic in me, the anesthesialogist came and I was able to get the epidural.  I know I sound like a big wimp, but I was not even close to prepared mentally or emotionally or physically.  I probably am a big wimp.  Oh well, the epidural was well worth the wait.  My epidural did not go as well as it did with Calin, my right side was not totally numb, but we were able to get it enough that it wasn't unbearably painful, just a dull ache.

After that, everything went very quickly.  I was finally able to answer some of the questions that I had not answered for them or that Robby couldn't answer for me.  I was able to get a drink and just breath for a few minutes and then it was 9:00 already and they said they were calling the doctor and it was time to get ready.  Thankfully my doctor's ward conference was not until 11 so it worked out for him to be there.  

When he got there he needed to turn her over because she was face up instead of face down.  Thank heavens once again I had the epidural for that! They started me pushing at about 9:10-9:15 and three pushes later she was here.   The last contraction didn't come right away and I got a little nervous listening to them trying to get a contraction to come, the doctor saying "we've got to get her out", and waiting for them to tell me to push.  When we did finally get that last push to get her out she was pretty purple and blue.  I was a little nervous waiting to hear a sound or cry and it felt like forever before she finally made a sound. After that though, she was fine and we were so excited, relieved, and blessed to have her here.
Looking up at Dad



Once she was here, Robby cut the cord and then they had to take her to check briefly while I was getting cleaned up.  Because I'd only gotten one dose of the antibiotic there was some concern because I was strep b positive and so they had to do a few tests to make sure all was well.

Getting all checked out! 

Comfort from Dad while getting poked and prodded. 


Another blessing of the epidural was after delivering the placenta, Dr. Astle was concerned that it had not all come out.  He then proceeded to check to see and I was grateful I couldn't feel all he was doing.  Once she was checked out they brought her over so Robby and I could hold and enjoy her for a while.  

After a little while they took her back to give her a bath and get her cleaned up a little better.  Robby and I took that time to text and call family and discussed her name a little more.  We narrowed it down to 3 names at that point.

After getting all cleaned up and hanging out with Dad.



All bundled up after her bath.
After her bath I was able to feed her and Robby and I enjoyed holding her a little more while they prepped to move me to my recovery room upstairs.  Once we were all loaded up and ready, the nurses pushed me on my big bed and Robby pushed baby girl in her little "bassinet".  Because there were no surgeries or anything happening at that time they decided to take us on the back elevator that only staff is supposed to use.  We got up to level 4 and they pushed me off first and then turned around to see the door closing on Robby.  

Robby and baby girl had gotten stuck on the elevator.  The nurses were trying to figure out how to get him with us and were freaking out worrying that someone would call a code pink because of the concerns with newborn babies.  I called him to tell him which floor we were on because I figured he didn't know.  Meanwhile, (he told us later), he had tried to open the doors back up, but didn't hit the button in time before he ended up down in the basement.  He had gotten off wondering where he was and a janitor had told him he was not supposed to be on that elevator and took him to the other elevator.  Finally he got back up to the 4th floor with us and we made it into our room.  We got settled in and ordered some lunch from room service.  We were both starving at that point.  

All settled into our new room.

While waiting for lunch we were able to decide on Clara Elizabeth for her name.  We both liked opposite of the other 2 names on our list but both liked Clara so we chose that and love it!  I chose Elizabeth because I wanted something to represent me somehow in her name.  I didn't want to do Liesl as a middle name, but decided to use Elizabeth since Liesl is the nickname for Elizabeth in German.  Clara was a name on our list, a suggestion from my sister and also one I had considered before.  We love her beautiful name to go with our beautiful girl! 

Side note:  We have not ever intended to do all "c" names but it has just turned out that way.  We don't plan on continuing to do all "c" names either.  :) 

Don't you just love her "shiner"!!?? 


Our first visitor was my mom who had just arrived from the airport and came straight to see us.  My uncle Max had gone to pick her up and came by with her so she could see baby Clara.   After visiting for a little while, we sent her to go and watch Calin who had been playing with Grandma and Grandpa Comeford all day and thankfully was doing really well!  My mom took over so that they could come to the hospital and visit us.  



After visiting us, they went back and got Calin from my mom and brought him to the hospital to see us and to meet Clara.  I was so happy to see him when he got there!  We had been so worried about leaving him but were so happy and proud to hear that he had done so well with his grandparents!

Seeing his new sister for the first time. 
He loved her right from the start.  He could not stop giving her hugs and kisses.  And he hasn't stopped since! 

Calin having some of my crackers and checking everything out about Clara. 
Our family of 4! 
After visiting for a while, Robby took Calin to go and pick up some stuff from his classroom and then home to put him to bed.  I was glad that Robby was able to go with Calin and help him have a somewhat normal night and so they both could get a good nights sleep.  However, I was sad to see them go and missed them both a lot! 

My mom came back to the hospital to keep me company and to hold Clara some more.  I had some dinner and visited with her until she left to go back to my grandma's.  

After that Clara and I had the evening and night to ourselves.  I tried to get as much sleep as possible by sending her down to the nursery.  She was good and slept most of the night according to the nurses.  I however did not get much sleep.  Those hospital beds are NOT comfortable.   After one of our feedings,  Clara was awake for a little while and I really enjoyed some time with her and got a few pictures too.  




The next morning, Robby got Calin up and settled with my mom while I got up and going at the hospital.  Clara went for her hearing test and came back with this green bow in honor of St. Patricks Day.






We had to see my doctor, Clara's doctor, get her tests done, met with the lactation specialist (Clara's latch was not great) and finish up a few other things before checking out of the hospital.  Robby got there to help and be with Clara and I around 10.  

We were both happy to have Robby back with us! 

After we got everything taken care of we got all ready to leave the hospital and head home.  We got Clara all changed and into her carseat.   Off we went to take our sweet girl home.  It felt so good to be leaving the hospital and headed home! 

Getting Clara loaded up in the car seat! 


Checking out baby sis! 

Giving hugs! 

Our family home together! 

Calin being soft with Clara. 

Home chilling on the couch!!
We are so blessed to have this sweet girl join our family and are so grateful that everything went well with her delivery and birth.  We are truly grateful to have this beautiful little girl and are so excited to have her in our family!  She has not and will not be short on love from all us!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THAT BABY GIRL SO MUCH!!! She is such a doll and will be the best dressed girl in SG. ;)

    ReplyDelete