Saturday June 16th, 2012
Around 6:00 am I woke up to some unusually more painful contractions than what I had been experiencing for the last couple weeks of pregnancy. I attempted to continue sleeping thinking they were just more braxton hicks. I continued to question throughout the next couple hours as the contractions got more close together but were still not regularly coming. Around 11:00 I decided to call the hospital and get their opinion (I was afraid I would go in to the hospital, they would think I was crazy for coming in thinking I was in labor, and would send me right home). The nurse said to go on a walk to try to get the contractions to come more regularly.
So, off Robby and I went into the midday summer St. George heat. I would walk as fast as I could for about a minute and then have to slow or stop for contractions. We continued to walk with contractions coming about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes apart. I was determined to get this baby here! The walk ended up being about an hour long. Poor Robby would feel horrible every time a car drove by. He kept waiting for one of them to stop and offer us a ride to the hospital. I must have looked pretty pathetic!! When we got home, as they had all morning, when I sat down to rest the contractions slowed way down. So I again hesitated to leave for the hospital. However, at that point things were getting really painful so around 12:30 I figured it wouldn't hurt to go in and have them check things out.
We got to the hospital and they hooked me up to all the monitors and told me a nurse would be in to check me. We then proceeded to wait (and suffer) for almost an hour. They had apparently had an emergency c section and everyone was busy with that. When I was finally checked I was only dilated to a 4. Normally they said they would not keep you unless you were a 5 or 6. However, apparently they were convinced that my contractions were bad and close enough to keep me.
So, off we went to our room to get settled and re-hooked up to everything. The next two hours went about as I expected (I went into labor expecting everything to be the worst it possibly could). Once I finished my IV's and they could give me the epidural life was great. I got the epidural around 4pm. Robby and I both felt a little silly at this point and were getting bored waiting for things to progress. However, I was lucky and the epidural did not slow my labor down. I kept progressing about a centimeter every hour. A little before 8 I was dilated to a 9. So I was expecting another hour or so before things were really ready to go.
Around 8:15 the nurse told me we were ready and she was going to call the doctor. The nurses started me pushing but then had to stop pushing to wait for the doctor. Our little boy was ready! Our doctor got there a little after 8:30 and Calin arrived at 8:51 pm. He weighed 7 lbs. 12 oz. and was 20 inches long!
It was the best moment. We were so relieved that he was here and perfect. We could not have been more thrilled!
Here are our first few pictures of our little boy! At this point we still did not have a name for him. We had our top choices, but had not decided for sure.
We were moved up to another room around 11. Becca and Josef were his first visitors that night. That was fun to have them there to see him! We were able to relax a little bit and order a very late night dinner and enjoy Calin. We decided on a name that night. There was nothing else that fit him like Calin did!
Welcome to our family Calin Robert Comeford! Some of Calin's first visitors. He is very loved!
Being the inexperienced first time parents, we did not have the camera ready for a lot of the pictures we should have taken, but now we know for next time!
We headed home Monday morning! It was so fun to bring him home and have some time to enjoy our little family! We are so blessed and grateful for this bundle of joy! Welcome home Calin!
I love my little nephew!
ReplyDeleteYeah! I am so glad that you now have a blog. Congratulations on your sweet little boy. He is adorable!
ReplyDeleteOh, what a sweetie! I'm so happy for you two (and happy for Calin that he has you as parents). I'm also glad to hear labor wasn't too overwhelming. Congratulations! You did it.
ReplyDelete